Get Help

How to get help

If you need help from our foodbank there are a few simple steps to follow.

1. How do I get help?

If you are in crisis and will struggle to feed yourself or family in coming days we are here to give you support.

We work on a voucher system and many agencies, charities and organisations in Lambeth and large parts of Croydon hold vouchers to support those they are working with.

So, if you have a support worker, social worker, family worker at school, college or nursery, advice worker, or even some health teams including doctors do speak to them.

If you are not linked up to any support but find you are struggling, you can come along to a foodbank session and speak to an advice worker on site. No appointment is needed BUT you must bring at least some of the following (as applicable):

  • National Insurance number
  • bank statements, either paper or on phone
  • benefits letters
  • DWP correspondence
  • utility bills
  • sick notes
  • redundancy letters.

We do not mind a bag of unopened letters we can help sort them out and prioritise. If you need a longer appointment, please arrive early as those who arrive within 30 mins of closing may not be seen.

We also have a legal team once a fortnight providing free legal advice and that can be an alternative option for advice.

Please email us if you have any further questions about getting a voucher.

2. What will happen at the Foodbank?

You will be welcomed, given refreshments and a volunteer will sit down with you to find out your needs for food parcels. Please note the majority of our food is longlife / UHT food in packets and tins.

They will ask about your cooking facilities – do you just have a kettle, microwave etc, what you like and dislike. We can cater for special diets like Vegetarian, Coeliac, Halal, Diabetic etc.

We also provide toilet rolls, sanitary products, toiletries, nappies and baby food. We aim to have washing powder and washing up liquid when we can.
For those whose companions are pets we can cater for dogs and cats.

Away from food parcels we can often provide clothing, bedding and school uniform.

Our volunteers will provide a listening ear and try to provide signposting information to further help and support where they can. They will discuss your situation and supply you with a foodbank voucher where appropriate.

3. What next? 

You can find a list of our local centres and opening times here.

On site, we can provide a number of additional advice and support services:

  • Advice workers from Centre 70 and Brixton Advice thanks to the support of the Walcott Foundation.
  • Legal Team from Duncan Lewis
  • Job Support from Tomorrows People
  • Mental Health support from Mosaic Clubhouse

Off site, we have strong links to CAP Brixton, supporting those in debt and struggling with long term money issues.

We are also running Eat Well, Spend Less cookery courses, giving confidence to those on low budgets to cook healthy meals.

If you have any further questions our FAQ’s page may help, or feel free to give us a call.




Back to Get Help